You would know that….
1. I really love rainy days. I feel like no one will argue with you wanting to get into your pajamas and drink a good cup of tea while reading a fantastic book and just enjoy the sound of rain and the promise of the sun that will come after the rain.
2. I hold grudges and although I try my best to mend and I will forgive, I will never forget. I’ve worked very hard on forgiveness but it does not come easy to me. Once I’ve been hurt by someone, I don’t feel I can ever open back up to them again. No matter what happens in life, I will always forgive because everyone deserves that and I would want the same.
3. I despise egg whites, they make me gag. My husband tried to sneak some into my eggs last week and I got sick. He won’t do that again!
4. I love sparkly, beautiful, quirky, unique things. Like antiques, shoes, purses, victorian art prints, funky jewellery pieces and home decor. If it’s different I love it, handmade is the best! In fact, when I got married in 2005 I insisted that my siblings make rather than gift me something. It was awesome and I cherish each one.
5. I am silly and I have the mouth of a truck driver (but I promise you I can reign it in when necessary). I love to laugh, to crack inappropriate jokes and my husband and my sister are the two people that can make me laugh until I cry – which is my favorite
6. I cannot live without music playing the background, car, work, home, all the time I like some music and I love all kinds of music. I find it so inspiring and therapeutic. I like to think that when I die I’ll have a mix called “Crystals Life” and I’ll make sure everyone gets a copy. (FYI – my entire Itunes collection is pretty much the playlist and it’s huge) P.S. Please do not play “My Heart Will Go On” at my funeral mmmkay? Thanks, because that’s just overplayed in funeral homes as it is.
7. I always thought I would live stateside, that I would work on a cruise ship at one point and end up acting or working in the film industry in costume/make up. I also wanted to be a writer and I have a few novels in progress that are non-fiction.
8. I love giving people presents, making things for them and just being there for them.
9. Every time I hear the song If I Could by Ray Charles that I will break down in uncontrollable sobs. The same goes for I’ll Be Home For Christmas. The first is the song my Dad surprised me with during our dance on my wedding day (how awesome is he?) and the second I don’t know, it just gets to me.
10. My favorite Christmas carol is River by Joni Mitchell (although the Sarah Maclaughlin version is quite lovely too) I also really love Blue Christmas (only the Elvis Presley version) and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.
11. The most inspiring concert I have attended to date was Lady Gagas Monster Ball. I haven’t been to many concerts at all (I think that was my third) but man, it was insanely creative, inspiring and so much fun.
12. I love to dance, even though I’m not a very good dancer, I could dance for hours on end every day. If you ever seen me playing Just Dance or Dance Central I would be mortified, it’s pretty embarrassing.
13 All of my first childhood dolls were African American. African American Barbie, African American Cabbage Patch, oh and an Asian Cabbage Patch (and he could go in the tub! I was so psyched). My parents raised us on a farm in a small town and they wanted us to grow up without prejudice. We were also introduced to friends that were Gay or Lesbian and encouraged that it made no difference. My parents are pretty amazing people and we grew up being taught that you are friends to everyone no matter what, and especially if someone at school was being teased, we were to take them under our wing and be their friend when no one else would. My mother would not tolerate mean girl behaviour.
14. That cats terrify me. Truly I want to cry when I visit someone and their cat jumps on my lap. I am not a cat person, I do not like them. I’ve tried, really and truly but I am a dog person and a horse person, and every other animal but cats. I’m also allergic. I think it’s the claws.
15. I actually went and trained with Doreen Virtue to be an Angel Therapy Practitioner, took Reiki classes and had my own practice for a couple of years doing readings for people. I don’t do them anymore but I still pull cards out and do readings for myself for fun. I love tarot cards, angels, fairies and collect all kinds of sets. My newest is a Steampunk set.
16. I love to read and read fast. I cannot put a book down and will plow through it in no time. I feel like I can visualize every little description and colour so well it’s like watching a movie for me.
17. I am a huge fan of magic and mystical things, I love True Blood, movies like Harry Potter (who doesn’t?), and The Princess Bride, Witches of Eastwick, Beetlejuice and pretty much anything Tim Burton does.
18. I was a synchronized swimmer for several years, played piano and clarinet and did horseback riding for awhile when I owned a little pinto pony named Nancy. Nancy had a bad limp from a jumping accident but she was awesome and all mine I learned how to ride Western and switched to English when I went to school….I still prefer Western.
19. I have 5 siblings, I keep in close touch with three of them. All of my siblings are incredibly creative and talented. From wood working and welding to creative writing, I am blown away by their talents. One of my brothers calls or emails me everyday, it’s not uncommon for me to check my voicemail and get, “Don’tcha ever answer yer phone booger face?” (I don’t usually answer my phone because I have the ringer turned off 80% of the time)
20. I have a great love for bacon and recently gave up bacon and many other yummy foods I love in an attempt to lower my cholesterol and take care of my heart. My parents both have heart trouble and two years ago my father went through a quintuple bypass, I love bacon, but I love my health more. I’ll some eventually in small doses.
21. My husband is my absolute best friend, we have so much fun together. We go on a date night EVERY week at least once. We hold hands as often as possible, we say sorry even when it’s hard to admit we’re wrong, we make each other laugh until we cry and we cheer each other on. Many friends and family members ask if I can clone him so they can have a husband like him too. Sorry ladies, he’s all mine He’s so thoughtful and kind, and patient as all get out. I am not patient, and I have a wild temper. So we balance each other. When I go Linda Blair, he goes Ghandi and harmony is restored.
22. I adore Peter Pan and I never want to grow up. I will be a cake designer for now and I will love it, but if I’m unhappy I will quit and become a drummer in a band, or tame lions in the circus, or finish some books I have been writing, or just be content to hang out at home with husband and three kiddos. Life is short, do what you want.
23. I am a great secret keeper. If people only knew what I knew they would be amazed at how I’m able to not burst at the seams! I have so many secrets people have told me and I will keep all of them safe and sound until the day I die. I promise Everyone deserves to have a secret they tell to someone that will never be spoken again. It’s good to get them off their chest. It’s probably why I love postsecret so much and why I wanted to become a psychologist for so many years. (psssst…I still do) I love helping people.
24. I am utterly terrified of flying but I really want to travel. I’m working on it. I cry during light turbulence (for reals y’all)! I use to have reoccurring nightmares of planes crashing, some I’d be on, but mostly I would be standing in the street witnessing the crash. I have only flown twice. I plan on travelling all over the world starting soon, I have to see the seven wonders of the world, taste the macarons at Lauderie and go for a bicycle ride under the Tuscan Sun.
25. I owned two easy bake ovens. Why two? Because I grew impatient and threw a 100 watt bulb in that sucker to speed things up. A girl wants her half-cooked batter lightbulb cake now! It resulted in melting the side of the oven off in a small mishap involving a slight, possibly minuscule fire. ( AND THAT FOLKS, is why there is no mention of my first easy bake in my bio) My parents kindly replaced it, but not without some rules about tampering with electrical devices. I use to rollerskate from the oven on the dining room table to the living room where I took pretend orders at the coffee tables. I also ate everyones orders for them – gee, why so chubby Crystal?
26. I have an unusual crush on Billy Idol. So hard core I even mentioned him in my grade eight year book quote. Billy if you are out there, you’re on my list! (And you all know what kind of list I’m talking about! We all have one…)
27. Vanilla cake will never do it for me, give this girl some chocolate, fruit, carrot, anything but vanilla cake. I will say I’ve found recipes that improve the standard vanilla cake I remember, but if you want to be my friend you have no business baking me a vanilla cake or bringing me a vanilla cake on my birthday. Ask my sister what happened the year she didn’t buy me an ice cream cake? I was pregnant to boot and I dreamed about ice cream cake for months…..I think I almost punched her. Good thing we love each other and several weeks later on her birthday I brought ice cream cake (she hates ice cream cake), and I made her eat it too! I’m thoughtful like that.
28. My favorite cake ever? The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man I made for my friend Rachel on her birthday. (She still has the head I’m pretty sure!) It was featured on Cake Wrecks Sunday Sweets Edition and I was so excited I almost fainted when I found out.
29. I love Brie, and goat cheese on a salad that I make that’s so delicious, and all things cheese. Just don’t give me Blue Cheese, unless of course you enjoy watching someone go into anaphylactic shock.
30. I think that if more people baked a cake, a pan of brownies, cookies, something, anything after a bad day, we wouldn’t have so much road rage, war, and general political upset. Most politicians need a good brownie, and maybe something else, but I don’t do politics and I don’t discuss them usually so moving on….
31. I love campfires, and traditional camping in a tent – none of this Glamping business (which is cute and all) but seriously, give me my camp food, camp fire, and some good tunes, I am set. Sometimes I don’t even need music when camping, the fire crackling is the best sound.
32. I also really love going to the spa for crazy treatments. Mud Bath? Sign me up! (Actually it’s not so bad, but trust me, if you have any issues with someone seeing you nekkid you might want to pass on the all out mud bath experience)
33. 3 is my favorite number, as is 33. I have a thing with the number 3 and I have no idea why. I’ve always liked it, felt it was lucky maybe? This is the first home I have lived in that does not have the number 3 in it. And I think we can safely end it there. Happy Sunday folks!